Sports Mouth Guards
Sports mouth guards reduce the risk of injury to the teeth and gums for players in active and contact sports. Injuries can happen at any age, and up to 40% of all facial injuries in adults occur during sporting activities. Dental injuries are painful and can be disfiguring, not to mention expensive to treat. Types of injuries include chipped, loose or broken teeth, lost teeth and jaw injuries. Patients with protruding front teeth, insufficient lip coverage or orthodontic appliances have a higher risk of sustaining injury.
While it isn’t possible to prevent all potential dental injuries, sports mouth guards have been shown to reduce the damage to teeth, gums, and the surrounding jawbone. Resilient devices also reduce the risk of injury to the temporomandibular joints (TMJ), the intensity and frequency of head concussions, and damage to the skull when force is applied to the chin.
Mouthguards are flexible, plastic appliances that fit over the teeth. These need to be comfortable, but fit tightly in the mouth. They usually allow normal breathing and swallowing and provide the correct thickness over the teeth to protect them effectively against impact. Most are odourless and tasteless, although they do come in a range of bright colours these days.
At Baluke Dental Studios, we produce mouthguards made from Pro-Form™ pre-made laminated mouthguard material, which has long been considered the leader in custom-made mouthguards. By laminating two or three layers of soft EVA together, the laminate has excellent tensile strength. All of these features make the Pro-Form™ mouthguard laminate the material of choice for custom-made mouthguards.
The sports mouth guards are fabricated from an impression taken of the patient’s mouth and gums. These provide the best protection because of their close fit, comfort and shock absorption effects. They are comfortable and allow the patient to breathe and swallow comfortably.
Material Composition: 2 -3 layers of laminated EVA (4mm or 5mm)
- Prevents tongue, lips and cheeks from lacerations by the sharp ends of the upper teeth.
- Lessens risk of damage to the back of the teeth following a blow delivered to the underside of the lower jaw. Without sports mouth guards, such impacts can cause cusp fractures and complete root fractions.
- Lessens the risk of concussions following an impact around the mouth. This is due to the prevention of full posterior translation of the condyles to the base of the skull.
- Lessens the risk of jaw fractures by absorbing the energy of a traumatic blow.
- Improves confidence of players so the athletes can concentrate more on the efforts and execution of their sport.
- Can be used for multiple sports.
- With proper care, the mouthguard can be used for more than a year.
- Extremely beneficial for athletes who are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Myriad colour options to meet the needs and wants of patients.
- The risk of injuries is reduced by about 90% when wearing a custom-made Pro-Form mouthguard.
- Our mouth guards are available in assorted colours including FUN Guards – Blue polkadots; White polkadots; Red polkadots; Fangs and Blood.
For more information on sports mouth guards please contact us at 1-800-263-3099 today.